Lifting operation is not easy in the offshore environment, as complexity is coming mainly by harsh weather conditions and inaccessibility:
- Limited available equipment: not feasible to rent additional equipment sailing in the middle of the sea.
- Gravity center variation: not easy to guarantee a stable alignment on a vessel with strong wind or rough sea, disbalancing the cargo with pendulum effect.
- Heavy Duty operations: the largest & heaviest cargos are moved off the shore for unlimited space (no bridges, no tunnels, no mountains…).
- Harsh environment: unstable weather conditions, as electric storms and strong wind.
- Limited space for employees: handling and working space commonly the same on a ship deck.
Under these circumstances, SAFETY is first and crane HOOK is considered a top priority, as the whole cargo is lifted by this unique component.
Traditionally large crane hooks over 500t has been considered casted and Dynamic safety factors are lower than a forged hook. But it´s not easy to forge a massive hook over >3000t.
For this reason replacing old non forged 4 prong hooks with 2 forged ramshorn ones, is considered SMART solutions:
S: SAFETY & STRENGTH
A: ADVANCED & ACCURATE
R: RELIABLE & RISKLESS
T: TRUST & THINKING IN LONG TERM